Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Wedding Zen- Who Are You?

I know.... it's that last thing you think of Weddings and Zen. However I purchased this cute little book at the dollar store of all places. Weddings are the time when you need to be calm and distress as much as possible. So I thought I would share some of the different exerts as I read along in the book.

"Who are you?
Pretend you don't have to please anyone but yourself. Do you really want to get married in a long white dress? Do I actually need ten bridesmaids? All in bubblegum pink taffeta? We're often encouraged - by parents, friends, even ourselves -to be someone we're not , especially on our wedding day. It can be exhausting. Zen helps us question the assumptions we hold about ourselves, ones that influence our wedding planning.

Take some time to really think about your wedding day. What's important to you? What images come up in your imagination? Make a list of those things...Go down the list and try to figure out which ones are truly important to you... You may want to try the following.

If I didn't have to please my ______ I would?
If I wasn't worried about what people would think I would?
If I only had myself to please I would?

By learning what you really want for your wedding-as opposed to what other people want or what society dictates-you'll begin the process of getting to know the real you. When you take nothing for granted, you gain an interesting perspective on your choices and how you live your life. "


From Wedding Zen by Susan Elia MacNeal

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails